Friday, February 3, 2017

Research Journal 1

What was the process by which you narrowed down potential topics to two appropriate ones? And how were these decisions made on the basis of either class discussion, or our required, course textbook (Aveyard 2014), or both?

In the beginning of my research process, I had considered the topics of women’ health care reform, the rising rate of mental illnesses, and the link between smoking and depression. I selected these topics because I have an interest in all of them and they are relevant in today’s society. I narrowed down my topics based in the amount of peer reviewed article I could find on each of them. I searched for key terms and the amount of sources that each article per topic had. These are all characteristics that should be considered when choosing an article and specifically a topic. I found that I could not find as much reliable information on the first two topics as the smoking and depression topic.



What research question did you choose, and how are I can be sure you're making a reasoned, academic judgement on the basis of chapters 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)?

I decided to choose the link between smoking the depression as my topic because I believe that these two factors are becoming more prevalent in today’s society, especially among those in my age group. My research question is: Upon finding evidence that smoking and depression do in fact have a correlation, is an individual who has already began smoking just as likely to develop depression as an individual who is already developed depression to begin smoking? I made this decision base on the fact that it is an issue that I am interested in. This topic also offers a good debate between which factor causes the other. The key terms that I found to be associated with the articles show that they are credible and from professional sources.



What article (or articles) are you basing this question on, and what type of article is it (research, theory, policy, practice) (citation[s] in APA, please)?

Wu, L. T., & Anthony, J. C. (1999). Tobacco smoking and depressed mood in late childhood and early adolescence. American Journal of Public Health, 89(12), 1837-1840. doi:10.2105/ajph.89.12.1837
Patton, G. C., Hibbert, M., Rosier, M. J., Carlin, J. B., Caust, J., & Bowes, G. (1996). Is smoking associated with depression and anxiety in teenagers? American Journal of Public Health, 86(2), 225-230. doi:10.2105/ajph.86.2.225

These articles fall into the research category and more specifically cohort and cross-sectional research. This is because the data is collected from a certain group of individuals, which is adolescents and teenagers. It is research because a specific question is being asked.


How can I be sure that the key vocabulary of the question corresponds not only to literature in the field, but also to chapter 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)?

The key vocabulary of my research question includes smoking, depression, and correlation. The term correlation is important because it is not defining which factor is causing the other. This is a key part of my question because it is based around which factor can cause the other and if the both can cause the other. Based on the reading in Ch. 1-3, it is important to define these key terms in order to clear up any confusion that these terms could bring. If they are not clear, then the research may not be as credible because of the multiple ways to interpret them.


Based on what your question is, what kind of literature are you going to need? Again, please explicitly reference the text (Aveyard 2014). What is your hierarchy of evidence?

 Based on my question, I need articles that are research based and are cohort and cross sectional. Data from individuals who have had experience with both factors at the same time are needed in order to organize findings that will answer the question.
Hierarchy of evidence (Aveyard pg. 96)
1. Cross Sectional Studies (surveys and questionnaires)
2. Systematic Review
3. Qualitative approach
4. Professional Opinion
5. Anecdotal Opinion



How exactly did your research question arise out of "practice"?

My research question arised out of the Practice Method because the articles that I found on my topic were written by professionals who are experts in their field of work. Within the articles it states that the some of the authors have earned their PHD. This makes them qualified and credible when discussing their findings and work. Because the articles that I have chosen are Practice based, my research question that arised from the articles came from Practice.



How do you define your key terms, and how do these definitions link to key journals in the field?

Smoking- the use of tobacco for an extended and consistent period of time
Depression- severe decline in mood, loss of interest in daily activities, and impairment of everyday life lasting longer than two weeks
It is essential to use both terms depression and smoking when searching for articles because it will bring articles that relate to both. An article that is only based on the causes of depression may not focus on the fact that smoking could be a potential cause. If both terms are used to search, it will narrow down the results to only articles that are going to be relevant to my research question.



Did anything unexpected happen? From your initial search, does it appear as though your research question will work? Or does the vocabulary and/or type of research sought need to be changed?

Nothing too unexpected has happened. I have had some doubts about my research topic, although I have decided to continue with this topic. I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to find enough articles that directly relate. I have searched through multiple journals (not just the AJPH), and have found many more articles that I will be able to use to continue my research. I think that my research question will work and that I don’t need to change the type of research that I am looking for.


Any final thoughts?

This is the first research project that I am completing, so I do have some hesitations when tackling each step of the process. The correct way to approach each step can be confusing because each project is different and the approach depends on many different things including the type of question and type of literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment